How To Maintain Your Accordion Hurricane Shutters
Hurricane shutters are designed to protect your home during storm season. However, even though these shutters seem indestructible, they still require hurricane shutter maintenance. Ensuring that your shutters are in the best condition, will keep them performing at their maximum potential. Here at Exclusive Accordions, we are here to provide you with all the information to keep your shutters in tip-top shape.
Maintain Your Accordion Shutters Miami!
You are aware of the choices that are available when it comes to hurricane protection. They involve impact windows, screens, and shutters. The best option will be hurricane shutters because of their versatility, strength, and cost. Their design is simple. They simply roll across a trick and are fairly easy to use. All you need to do is pull and slide the who slides together and snap them into place, then lock it.
Keep in mind, though, the simplicity will not last if you do not keep up on your maintenance. When shutters are not taken care of, they will be harder to close next time you try to use them. Even if you go a few years without having to use them, it is essential to care for them. Remember, a storm can be unpredictable and you need your shutters to be ready to protect at any moment. They must work at a moment’s notice.
Our Tips For Hurricane Shutter Maintenance
- Keep the tracks clean
- You must keep the tracks of the shutters clean by washing them on the regular. When you were the tracks, inspect for the buildup of dist, salt, insect nests, and other particles that may cause problems with the operation of your hutters.
- Wash with soap and warm water
- When using warm water and soap, be sure to apply with a soft brush at least twice a year. Keep close attention with the slats and the hinges connecting the slats. Be sure to hit these spots. Clean the shutters in both the open and the closed position. This makes it better to remove dirt, salt, and anything else that may be trapped. It is safe practice to avoid using abrasive cleaners, pads, or hard brushes. This will damage your shutters.
- Lubricate the tracks at least twice a year
- Make sure you get a clean silicone spray lubricant. An excellent example of this is Permatex Super Lube. It will clean and lubricate the tracks of your accordion shutters. You can find this spray at any hardware store. Make sure to stay away from WD-40. You do not want to use an oily lubricant because it will cause dirt and salt to build up faster. Also be sure to lubricate the thumbscrews at least twice a year. This will ensure that you can remove your locking pins that close the accordion shutters.
- Operate the shutters at least once a month
- We are not saying to use them every month. We are saying to simply open and shut them at least once a month. This will help keep your tracks clean and moving smoothly. Pay attention to the tracks and other movable parts, and examine the mounting fasteners to make sure that none of them are broken. When you regularly operate your shutters, it will give you peace of mind knowing that the shutters are working in the event of a big storm.
When it comes to hurricane shutter maintenance, Exclusive Accordions know exactly what needs to be done. We feature the best accordion shutters Miami. Call or contact us today for more information.